- 99%of Katz PhD graduates are placed as assistant professors2016 Deloitte Foundation Doctoral Fellowship in Accouting in the amount of $25,000 4th Katz student to receive honor - Jordan Bable, Class of 2017, AccountingAmerican Marketing Association Consumer Behavior Special Interest Group Rising Star Award - Lauren Grewal, Class of 2017, Marketing
Mentorship is key to lasting success and confident leadership. The Katz Faculty is dedicated to a signature apprenticeship model, designed to support and challenge each student.Choose a Program
Choose a Program
By reading highlights of their research you will see why Katz faculty is internationally recognized as experts in their fields and have published in prestigious academic journals such as Accounting Review and the Review of Financial Economics.See Research
As a Katz PhD student, you develop one-on-one relationships with faculty mentors who will guide you through the program and are invested in your success. Hear from students and faculty on what it's like to work together.
Our mission is to produce internationally renowned experts in the business disciplines and place our graduates at leading research universities worldwide.
Katz PhD students work alongside our faculty. They are not just mentors, they are also colleagues. As a student, you will co-publish papers, present at conferences, and develop new professional connections - all a result of the one-to-one relationships you will develop with your faculty mentors.
Faculty by AreaCLOSECLOSECLOSE
Take the First Step
We are here to offer you support through the admissions process. Below, find all of the information, requirements, and key dates you’ll need to submit your application.
Create your personal application account where you can start and save your work as needed. You will also submit the following:
Official transcripts will only be needed if the doctoral committee is interested in admitting you.
Official GMAT or GRE and TOEFL scores
Official TOEFL or IELTS scores
The school codes you must provide are DPZ-M5-90 for the GMAT and 2998-(major code) for the GRE. If the TOEFL applies to you, please provide the code 2998-02.
Meeting with the committee
Interviews are conducted on campus, off campus, or via Skype if is not possible to meet in person. We regret that we cannot conduct telephone interviews.
Applicants may be asked to participate in our evaluative interview process upon initial review by the MBA admissions committee. A requirement for all Full-Time MBA admitted applicants, evaluative interviews are conducted by a variety of Katz personnel from our local MBA Admissions office in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Details are provided in the interview invitation.CLOSE
Need to Know
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do any of the Katz PhD Program Areas of Study qualify as STEM Degrees? No, regardless of your specific area of study, our doctoral program is classified as a PhD in Business Administration and so it is not considered to be a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) program.;
- What are the major areas of study offered through the Katz PhD Program at the University of Pittsburgh? The PhD program includes seven areas of study: Accounting, Business Analytics & Operations, Finance, Information Systems and Technology Management, Marketing, Organizational Behavior and Human Resource Management, and Strategic Management. Scroll to the top of the page and select a program to learn more.
- How long will it take to complete the PhD program? Most students complete the program in four years. It typically takes two years to complete course work and comprehensive examinations followed by dissertation research, overview, and defense.
- How should I choose an area of study? A PhD Program? We recommend you do two things:
Examine the descriptive information under "Areas of Study" and browse to see if it interests you in general.
Browse the faculty and research pages using the small "Faculty & Research" link at the very top of this page, just to the right of the Katz logo. Examine the titles of the papers of the faculty in the areas that you think are interesting. You might even look up some of the papers on Google Scholar and see if you can retrieve them through your school library. If you do not have access to an academic library, you might be able to obtain copies of some papers directly from the faculty members themselves. Read the papers and imagine yourself being involved in similar work. A scholarly career in research is full of rewarding and engaging work, but there should be a good fit between your interests and the specialties of the faculty in the program and university you are considering.
- What is the financial aid package offered by the Katz PhD Program? The Katz Doctoral Program provides a five-year financial aid package to admitted doctoral students. The stipend is currently $27,590 annually. Katz also provides full tuition remission for five years and comprehensive health insurance for their students, both domestic and international.
- I will be taking the GMAT/TOEFL Test in January. Should I submit the application to the University of Pittsburgh PhD Program without these scores? Yes, please submit as much of the application as possible before the January 1 deadline. It is best to submit your application with all official documentation. However, you may indicate that the GMAT/TOEFL score will be forwarded to the University of Pittsburgh (DPZ-M5-90 for GMAT and 2998-02 for GRE and TOEFL) and indicate the date you are taking the exam. We can begin to process the application if necessary without all of the information. However, please note that no official action can be taken on an incomplete application. If you have a copy of a score that you want to submit while waiting for an official score to arrive, please feel free to do so. Again, remember that no final action can be taken on your application until official documents are received.
- What are the GMAT, GRE, and TOEFL Institution Reporting Codes for the University of Pittsburgh PhD Program in Business? Our GMAT reporting code is DPZ-M5-90 and the GRE and TOEFL reporting code is 2998-02. Please be sure to use the University of Pittsburgh PhD code and not the Master's program codes you might find elsewhere.
- I have not received all letters of recommendation back from recommenders. Should I send my application without a complete set? Yes, it is important to get your application into the University of Pittsburgh Doctoral Program by January 1. If you are waiting for another letter of recommendation, please submit your application with a note informing us of the approximate date we will receive it.
- It is a financial hardship for me to pay the application fee. Can the University of Pittsburgh waive the fee? We know the importance of applying to a doctoral program for our applicants and wish that we could help with this burden. Unfortunately, it is a University policy that an application fee must be charged. We have made every effort to keep the fee as low as possible and will continue to be sensitive to this need in the future.
- When will I know the result of the application process? Typically, the Katz Doctoral Committee will review applications during January and make initial offers in February and March. Depending on where a student may be as a backup, it is possible for a student to hear of a positive admission decision as late as the third week of April. The Doctoral Office will attempt to telephone and email accepted applicants as soon as a decision is made.
- Where do you place your graduates? The purpose of the Katz Doctoral Program is to develop professional scholars who will excel in research and teaching for placement at leading business schools. The Katz School has an outstanding placement record with graduates.
- What are the requirements for the PhD at Katz Graduate School?
Visit the requirements section to learn more.
- What is the minimum GMAT/TOEFL score accepted by the University of Pittsburgh Katz PhD Program? The University of Pittsburgh Katz Doctoral Program does not publish a minimum score. However, it may be helpful for you to know that the average GMAT score of admitted students each year is between 720 and 730. Few admitted applicants report TOEFL scores below 100.
- Can I ask for a waiver of the TOEFL test? The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required if the applicant's native language is not English. Exemption for this test may be permitted when an applicant has attended a college or university in the United States for a minimum of four years as a full-time student and has earned at least a Bachelor's degree, or when an applicant has earned a Master's degree from a college or university in a country that considers its native language to be English (the USA, UK, Australia, and Canada are examples). Even if English is the medium of instruction, the school needs to be in a country with English as its native language.
- How do I arrange to take the GMAT/GRE/TOEFL tests? The GMAT test is administered by the Graduate Admission Council.
The GRE and TOEFL tests are administered by the Educational Testing Service, Princeton, New Jersey, 08541, USA. Further information may also be obtained from the nearest United States Embassy, Consulate, or Information Service.
GMAT - See www.mba.com/the-gmat.aspx
GRE - See www.ets.org/gre
TOEFL - See www.ets.org/toefl
- How do I arrange a visit to the Katz Graduate School? We are happy to arrange visits for prospective students to meet the Katz faculty, staff, and students. If your schedule permits arranging a visit during the fall term (October through December), please contact the Katz Doctoral Office.
- What is the size of the Katz PhD Program? There are currently 51 doctoral students, from 10 different countries, across 7 different majors. This number includes students at the course work, comprehensive exam, and dissertation stages of the program.
- What is the application deadline? The deadline for applying for September is January 1. However, it is advantageous to have your completed application submitted earlier to facilitate the review process.
The deadline for applying for September is January 1. However, it is advantageous to have your completed application submitted earlier to facilitate the review process.
Tuition & Fees
Tuition and fees vary based on program, residential status, and other factors.
Scholarships & Financial Aid
Resources & Information
The University of Pittsburgh Katz Graduate School PhD Program provides a five year financial aid package. Currently, the financial aid package includes a stipend of $27,590 and full tuition remission for five years and comprehensive health insurance to both domestic and international students.
Apply for PhD program financial aid during the application process.
University of Pittsburgh Financial Aid Resources
- University of Pittsburgh Policy Statement: Information regarding teaching assistantships, graduate student assistantships, and teaching fellowships.
- University of Pittsburgh Tuition Fees
- University of Pittsburgh Human Resources: Information regarding health insurance benefits for graduate student assistants, teaching assistants, teaching fellows, and their families.
- University of Pittsburgh Office of International Services: Information on international admissions, immigration services, international social and cultural programming.
Additional Financial Aid Opportunities
- PhD Project
- The Rotary Foundation
- Ronald E. McNair Post Baccalaureate Achievement Program
- The American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
PhD students are strongly encouraged to attend major academic conferences in fields relevant to their career development. The Doctoral Program provides each PhD student with an annual allocation for travel. In addition, the University of Pittsburgh's Graduate and Professional Student Government (GPSG) offers extra travel funding for graduate students who attend academic conferences.CLOSE
Tuition & Fees
Katz students are part of a nurturing community of peers and administrators who are unified in delivering the highest level of support. Current students may use these links to access the student intranet, University learning platform, and to contact a member of the Katz IT Services Help Desk.